Friday, May 7, 2010

How It Is So Far

I'm guessing everybody knows what fb is.

Truthfully, i only joined because it was where the people were heading. But i've come to like how i can discover things about people i know, and having a platform to interact. I started out with adding friends, playing games and doing quizzes which got boring after a while. Then people started making notes(which is like posting more personal information and preferences or experiences) and spreading them; i followed suit. After that, the trend was "become a fan" which is now the "like" function. Ironic, considering how many users wanted a dislike button.

Facebook is getting itself integrated with the world, as mentioned by Steve Rubel. I agree with him that the potential is there, its up to the developers and such to make it happen. There is though quite an issue about privacy now. However, many others who shared their opinions on this matter do have a point as well; facebook might just be a stepping stone to the creation of a better Web. For now though, it's here and we might as well use it best we can.

As a social media, users are likely to pose personal information. Hence, it is necessary for facebook to protect this data and not let other parties have access to it, unless the user agrees. Issues regarding privacy, like this recent software glitch is something facebook has to handle well. However, us as users also have the responsibility to make sure that sensitive information are not put up so readily, and that we make good use of the privacy features. I find it quite simple and handy with the options to customize individual sections, though i would like to be able to set who can view my comments as well.

1 comments:

Rui Xiang said...

Up till today, I still don't have a FB acc, and I don't intend to sign up for one as i think it's a waste of time.